Friday, July 12, 2013

028 - Feathery Abstract Journal Cover

028 - Feathery Abstract Journal Cover

Journal Cover Detail

Inspiration



Begun as a stretch goal, I wanted to attempt a more complex quilt block using curves.

The Seagull block inspired a quilt design idea, using Judy Dale's technique for curves, but I knew it would become more complex and I would need to improve my skills.

Details


The design is a variation of another of the patterns in Judy Dale's book, Curves in Motion, called Practice Petals. It is offered as a challenge to those of you who wish to try long, skinny curves, or those who just wish to hone their skills. It was a challenge for me ... which means, I'll probably give myself a second chance for something similar in the future.

028 - Feathery Abstract Journal CoverI added fabric to create a rectangle large enough to cover the composition books I use for my morning pages–three pages of stream of consciousness written in the morning to clear my head and capture ideas. I layered it with a lightweight batting and backing and quilted it with unmarked free-motion quilting (which was pretty stream of consciousness, too.

After quilting, I added flaps on each end (to hold the cover on the composition book and bound the edge.

The open cover measures 10 inches high by 16 inches wide.

Open Cover

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this journal cover and the feather of this day! The quilting even looks feathery. Does that count for two days? =)

    ReplyDelete