Thursday, July 11, 2013

027 - Feather Embellished Cotton Cuff

027 - Feather Embellished Cuff

Inspiration

Old Jewelry-the starting point
When I read the author's suggestion for Day #76 (yes, I have been reading ahead):

Make something inspired by and/or that fits on or around an ear (yours or someone elses)

I was reminded me of an old piece of costume jewelry which was designed to fit around an ear and, coincidentally, had some feather charms hanging from it.

I decided to de-construct and recycle it into something slightly less hippy-dippy.

Details

The cuff measures 1 1/4-inch wide with a circumference of 7-inches when it is closed. 

Here's how I made it. 
Auditioning FabricsI removed the tarnished charms from the old piece of jewelry and cleaned them. This photo shows the shiny clean charms and selected fabrics.

I sewed and quilted the band, added embroidery, then added two of the feather charms and the smallest of the circular elements.

I sewed on a simple snap for the closure.


027 Feather Embellished Cuff - open

On my WristAnd it fits ... though I didn't manage to take a clear photo of it on my wrist.

I think if quilters made friendship bracelets, they might look like this :-)

I plan to wear it to one of the International Folk Art Market events this week.  

2 comments:

  1. Bracelet looks easy enough... I could make them for my grandgirls.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recycle! Love it. Very Santa Fe.

    ReplyDelete