Friday, June 21, 2013

007 - Stenciled Feather

007 - Stenciled Feather

Textile paint on silk noil fabric.

Inspiration


For Day 7, the suggestion in the book is to make a stencil and use it in your work. Here's the freezer paper stencil I made.

Freezer Paper Stencil

Details


Textile Paint AppliedThe stenciled feather measures approximately 8 by 24 inches.

I cleaned up and resized a feather image on the computer, printed it across three sheets or letter-sized paper and used the enlarged print as a pattern for a freezer paper stencil.

I ironed the stencil to some silk noil fabric I found in my stash–I confess I was looking for some white cotton canvas, but when I found this, I changed my mind.

I painted the fabric with Jacquard textile color.

Detail of 007 - Stenciled FeatherI wasn't sure how well the stencil technique would work on the rough woven fabric.

I'm really pleased with the result.

I had hoped to re-use the stencil on some cotton for use in a quilt, but it didn't come off the silk in one piece.  If I decide I like it enough to cut another one, I'll be back with another stenciled feather.

When the paint has completely dried and cured, this fabric will become a pillow cover for a 10 by 28 inch sofa pillow.


2 comments:

  1. Amazing detail -- it turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a wonderful design, what patience you have in cutting that out. It printed well, too. Love it!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete