Wednesday, June 19, 2013

005 - Second Feathered Star Quilt Block

005 - Another Feathered Star

Inspiration

I knew I would make at least one more feathered star quilt block ... I just didn't know that I would be motivated to do so right away.  The prompt for Day 5 is to use some thing you collect ... and like many quilters, the largest collection (by far) at my house is my fabric stash.

Details

This feathered star is made from the same pattern as that described in day 2. I was curious to find out if the second (and subsequent blocks would go faster and be better.  For this one, I also re-organized my process into 4 discrete tasks, so that I could work on it in smaller chunks of time

  1. Select and cut fabrics
  2. Sew the triangle squares
  3. Sew the strips of feathers (triangle squares plus extra background triangles and diamond points)
  4. Sew the 9 sections (adding feathers to background pieces)
  5. Assemble the block.
Here's how it looked after step 2.  I also decided to add up the number of pieces in an individual block–there are 161, 132 of which make up the feathered points which give this style block it's name.


151 Pieces make a Feathered Star

Look closely at the block and you'll see that while I have improved a little, I could use more practice ... expect to see at least a couple more feathered star blocks from me. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Wow! Wow! So the kinky thing DOES work!

    Impressive feathers. I had no idea you were such an accomplished artist. I can't draw worth a lick. Heaven help me if we have to draw anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have quite a variety of projects going on here. I really loved day 3!

    ReplyDelete