Sunday, June 16, 2013

002 - Feathered Star Quilt Block

002 Feathered Star Quilt Block


Inspiration

When I started thinking about feathers, I wondered if I could make a series of feathered star quilt blocks or if they were too time consuming for a daily project ... and so I had to try at least one. It might become the first in a series ... or languish with the other orphan blocks in my studio.


Details

This block measures 19 inches square (including seam allowance). I used Marsha McCloskey's pattern, Feathered Star I, from her book, Feather Star Quilt Blocks I: Really Hard Blocks That Take a Long Time to Make. It's really one of the easiest of the really hard blocks ... but it did take a while to make all those little (1 inch) triangles.

4 comments:

  1. I can imagine that it would take a long time to put together all of those little pieces. They do look fabulous though. Day 2 and still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo in the header! You are brave to take on a one-a-day year-long project. I wish you success and a changed life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great, and I love the center - such a bright happy star. I don't know if I'd want to do a lot in a row, but maybe one now and then? They should get easier each time you do one - maybe you can do the 1" hst as leader-enders on other projects and when you have enough, make another star? Sewing on Sunday is something else that would keep me from doing this project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to get acquainted with your feathery adventure....Will you give yourself extra points if you sew using a Featherweight?

    ReplyDelete