Monday, June 17, 2013

003 - Avocado Bird with Arugula Feathered Wings

003 - Arugula as Wing Feathers

I bought the arugula from the Farmer's market yesterday.  The grower told me that this was the last week for arugula because of some kind of beetles.  Don't look too close or you can see the evidence in those leaves.

Inspiration

Trader Joe's Wild Arugula BagWhen I saw the arugula leaves on this bag of Trade Joe's Wild Arugula, I saw feathers and wondered how I could create wings from them.  (I inserted a sheet of white paper in the empty bag to scan it.)

A few days later, when slicing an avocado in half, I saw a bird body.  My edible salad project idea was born.

The 365 book also suggest this for day 302:
Work only with, or inspired by, boxes or bags from packaged food products today.

And this, for day 62:
Make something with your dinner before you eat it
I am clearly following my own path, but will reference the book when I notice we both had the same ideas.

Details

After arranging the arugula wings, I added half an avocado for the bird body, almond slices for body feathers, a carrot slice for a beak, some flax seeds for his beady eyes and, because at this point, I was thinking this could be a tasty lunch, a nest of halved cherry tomatoes.

 Bonus!  Add a glass of chardonnay, some vinaigrette and a lot more of the arugula and ... it was lunch.


Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment