Thursday, June 20, 2013

006 - Knitted Feather

The back-up knitted feather

 Inspiration

The suggestion from the book for Day 6 is:
Look in the kitchen and work with the first fruit or vegetable you spot.  It coul dbe in the form of juice, jam, or even canned.
For some reason, fruit or vegetable registered as food and I immediately thought of my first-thing in the morning, coffee, and immediately knew I wanted to try some latté art to produce something like the image on the left ... unfortunately I failed miserably (my effort on the right.) Perhaps with more research and daily practice, I can perfect the feathery rosette.


  The goal - feathery latté art  My result - not very artful

Another daily suggestion that had grabbed my eye when I flipped through the book before beginning this adventure was Day 40:
What can you do with yarn? You don't have to know how to knit or crochet; you can try yarn painting or just experiment.  
Since I do know how to knit, last night I knitted the feather shown with my failed latté art and again, below.

Details

When I did a search for feather on Ravelry, I imagined I would find projects using feather stitches in lace patterns like the Feather and Fan.  But what popped to the top of the search results was Heather Buelow's knitted Feather pattern.

Honestly, how could I resist?   This one measures 2 1/2 by 9 1/2 inches and is knitted from worsted weight cotton yarns from my stash.

005 - knitted feather

Any suggestions on what one does with a knitted feather like this would be appreciated.  Made in a thinner yarn, I think it could be curled around a wrist for a fiber-y, feather-y cuff.  Made wider, it could become a long coaster (for a pair of drinks?) Stuffed with cat-nip, the cats would love it ... and likely destroy it in minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I was going to be mightily impressed if you had succeeded with your feathery latte!

    I am, however, impressed with your knitted feather. If I could knit a feather, I would knit a sweater to put it on!!!!

    I am still suffering with my first sock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a pretty bookmark to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if they use heavier cream in OZ? Great knitted feather. Bookmark sounds good, or if you made another one and stitched them together on the edges, leaving the nib end open, it would make a great handle cover if you have a wok skillet with a metal handle, like I do.

    ReplyDelete