Wednesday, September 4, 2013

054 - Yet Another Feathered Star Quilt Block

054 - Yet Another Feathered Star Quilt Block

Inspiration

The fabrics for this, the fifth of the traditionally pieced feathered star blocks in this series, have been cut and ready to go for weeks. Today, I was inspired to finish up the last of the cut fabrics.

It's a 9-patch

Details


This is yet another Feathered Star I block from Marsha McCloskey's book.

Whenever I get to this point in putting together the block, I always think how it's just a 9-patch.

As I make more of these blocks, I naturally start thinking about settings and borders.  I started thinking about the idea of an outer border of those tiny 1-inch triangle squares.  It felt a little overwhelming until I realized that there's 56 inches of those half-square triangle units in each block.

Since I now I have five of these blocks, I had to see how they'd look arranged on point.  I doubt they'll end up this way in the quilt (because of the fussy cut centers in some of the blocks), but it was fun to play with the idea.

Five Feathered Stars

1 comment:

  1. Now you're on the move again! Two feathered stars in two days. Are they getting easier to do, or faster?

    ReplyDelete